Summer Sunday Service Schedule Preston – Ormskirk Line!!!

Ormskirk Station – The train in the foreground is Preston bound. The one behind it is Liverpool bound.

Well it’s because of railway engineering work and the part closure of Liverpool Lime Street Station throughout the summer but hey at least it’s a service on the Ormskirk – Preston Line on a Sunday.

Of course the caveat must be, are Northern capable of delivering the service based on their inability to deliver a regular service on many of their lines at presently?

The service will operate every Sunday from June 3rd up to and including July 29th.

You will find full times for journeys up to July 8th through online travel enquiries at Northern, National Rail etc. There will be 6 services each way similar to last October, see below.

Please check before you travel.

OPSTA (Ormskirk Preston and Southport Travellers Association) will be conducting passenger counts and possibly a survey or two.

Sunday Preston departures







Sunday Ormskirk departures







What will it take for Government to realise that folks want to travel by train on a Sunday all the time, year in year out? They don’t close Motorways on a Sunday!

Ormskirk’s Station where Merseyrail and Northern trains meet

2 thoughts on “Summer Sunday Service Schedule Preston – Ormskirk Line!!!

  1. nvelope2003 says:

    If they closed motorways on Sundays the other roads would be unable to cope. Does that apply to the railways whose boss, the head of Network Rail, gets £750,000 for moving less than 10% of traffic whereas the head of the Highways Agency gets £500,000 for moving the other 90% – both of them in the public sector.

    • My comment about closing Motorways on a Sunday was meant to be an amusing aside but also to illustrate the the 1960’s thought process on the railway powers that be who think on some lines no one wants to travel on a Sunday. The other issue is that if all the no-Sunday service lines were opened up to 7 day a week running then the pressure would be taken off some roads.

Leave a Reply to Cllr. Tony Robertson Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *