Not many of us use the old fashioned chip pans anymore probably because we are all pretty well aware of how dangerous they can be for starting house fires. As dangerous as this!:-
Sheila and I saw this demonstration by Lancashire Fire Brigade in Ormskirk about the dangers of using a chip pan. The photo above shows what happens if just a cup full of water is thrown into a chip pan fire. Below is the before photo with just the oil in the pan on fire:-
A sobering experience indeed and just imagine if that fire was within the confines of a kitchen! If you still have a old fashioned chip pan please ditch it.
The second photo is amongst my Flickr shots at:-