My previous posting of yesterday refers – see link below
The former Stafford Moreton Youth Centre and old Maghull Library in the heart of Maghull’s shopping area.
Some of my readers may have been sceptical about my postings on this rather bizarre subject, frankly I was beginning to wonder myself! However, here is the evidence, in the form of a documented official minute from Sefton Council’s Cabinet meeting of last Thursday 5th November:-
70. FORMER MAGHULL LIBRARY AND YOUTH CENTRE, LIVERPOOL ROAD NORTH, MAGHULL
Further to Minute No. 43 of the meeting held on 3 2015, the Cabinet considered the report of the Head of Corporate Support which provided details of the tenders received as a result of the marketing exercise for the sale of the Council’s freehold interest in the former Maghull Library and adjoining Youth Centre, Liverpool Road North, Maghull. The previous decision of the Cabinet had been called-in and was considered by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee (Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services) on 22 October 2015.
The Committee had decided that it should be referred back to Cabinet to enable information to be provided on the following issues:-
1. that the views of local residents were not taken into account
2. the local housing needs were not given adequate consideration particularly bearing in mind the ageing population of Maghull
3. the principle of social value was not taken into account
4. the requirement for a different mix of shopping opportunities on the site
5. the Maghull Neighbourhood Plan was not taken into account
6. the strategic opportunity for the development of the wider site/area, to provide a greater development opportunity, was not considered
The report provided information on the above issues in Paragraph 4.5 of the report.
Decision Made: That:
(1) the additional information set out in Paragraph 4.5 of the report be noted;
(2) subject to the receipt of planning permission, approval be given to disposal of the Council freehold interest in the former Maghull Library and Youth Centre to the highest bidding tenderer detailed in Appendix 1, on the terms set out in the report; and.
(3) the Head of Regulation and Compliance be authorised to prepare the necessary legal documentation on the terms and conditions detailed in the tender documents, by way of a Building Lease followed by Conveyance of the freehold interest, or an appropriate alternative means of Transfer, if required.
Reasons for Decision: Maghull Library relocated to new premises within the Meadows Leisure Centre in Maghull and the existing property was declared surplus to operational requirements. The adjoining Youth Centre had also been closed and declared surplus to requirements. The premises are included in the Council’s Asset Disposal Programme for 2015/16. Disposal would bring the premises into productive use and relieve the Council of an ongoing liability.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected: The Council could retain the premises and continue to incur the holding costs.
Yes the Labour Cabinet utterly and completely rejected, or should I say ignored, the promised community consultation (promised by Labour Councillors I might add) that had been published in the Aintree & Maghull Champion newspaper the day before the Cabinet met. No ifs, no buts, no doubt!
What silly game is Labour playing here? Promising consultation one day and then voting against it happening the next?