Yes I know, I could not help but pinch the title of Bill Byrson’s excellent book but it felt appropriate to me anyway.
I’ve not updated on the activities of the Parish Council for a while but as we have just had our October meeting here goes with a few notes:-
* We donated £73 to the WW1 Lydiate Project to help them produce 100 additional printed booklets on their work. Here’s a link to this primary schools based project:-
By the way have you seen/read ‘Great War Britain – Liverpool – Remembering 1914-18’ by Lydiate historian Pam Russell? May well be worth tracking a copy down – it was published this year. The copy below was for sale in Liverpool Central Library:-
* After the Brexit carry on it will hardly be surprising if Lydiate folk look upon another referendum with a skeptical eye but there is going to another very local one early next year. It will just be for Lydiate voters and it will be regarding whether the community accepts the Neighbourhood Plan which the Parish Council has put together. I’ve blogged about these plans many times before – watch out for a polling card popping through your letter box.
* We have put £500 to one side, in effect pledged it, to the Moss Alliance to help pay for their legal costs against fracking. My previous posting on this matter is available via this link:-
* The Parish Council continues to look for ways to improve the changing room facilities and indeed the old tennis courts at Sandy Lane Playing Field. I’ve mentioned this a number of times previously. Suffice to say that the project may now take the form of a small extension to the present building but with a far more substantial project to provide modern changing rooms and a multi use games area (MUGA) to follow. It all depends on funding and grants and it could take a while to bring this project forward.
* It looks like funding to help with the lighting of the Christmas Tree (actually its a holly tree) on the Village Green will no longer be provided by Sefton Council after Christmas 2019. There’s a challenge for Christmas 2020 and beyond….